<< return to Vizycam.com

Wide angle lens recommendations?

Hi what are some cost-effective options for wide-ish angle lens for Vizy?

The Arducam EF-S adapter works well, so I guess some cheaper Canon glass would do, but which are some good options for angles wide enough for Vizy outdoor applications? 8MM or lower?

Or are there good CS lens? Not sure if Arducam lens are good.

the default lens is ok, but is just too blurry at some 12+ feet

Hello,
The lens that comes with Vizy is about 85 degree field-of-view, horizontal. It’s a high-quality 5-megapixel lens and should have good clarity (it shouldn’t be blurry.) Lack of clarity can be caused by smudges in the optical path – including the IR-cut filter and lens (back and front surfaces). You might inspect these. Loosening the set screw on lens adapter will allow you to adjust focus, but I’m guessing you’ve already tried this. Let me know if you need some help with this.

Keep in mind that while 8mm is considered a wide-angle lens, this assumes a 35mm sensor. Vizy’s sensor is much smaller at 6.2mm wide.

The formula for the horizontal field-of-view for a 6.2mm wide sensor is:

FOV = 2*atan(6.2/(2f))

where f is the focal length in mm.

To achieve an 85 degree FOV, the lens that comes with Vizy is 3.25mm (very short).

The other challenge with wide-angle lenses is the f-stop and the distortion. The lens that comes with Vizy is f2.0 and the distortion is about 1%.

Edward

Hi, thank you Edward.
I want to explore different lens options, what would you recommend besides Arducam and Vizy?
Only CS-mount would work I assume? Or C-mount as well?

Do I need to look for lens for 1/2.3" sensor? Or should other sizes work as well?

I don’t mind paying a bit extra for the lens if it gets me quality

Hello,
If you’re interested in wide angle, M12 would probably be your best bet. What horizontal field-of-view are you looking for?

Edward

I am generally trying different options for my application. Thought maybe there is a variable zoom lens that would fit on Vizy?

I found this: https://commonlands.com/collections/m12-lenses

Are these good lenses?

Also found these guys:
https://www.rmaelectronics.com/theia-technologies-lenses/

Expensive, yes but it seems they have “motorized” option which means I suppose I could connect those wires to Vizy and write a code that changes the zoom/ focus?

I am thinking of adjusting the Birdfeeder / Defender app so that Vizy could zoom / focus once it sees movement in the frame. Do you think that would be possible with Theia lens?

Also what are the implications of using 5MP lens on a 12MP Vizy?

Hello,
We have this lens that works well:

It has a decent range of focal lengths.

Regarding the links you provided, there isn’t anyone here who’s worked with these companies, so we can’t say much. (sorry)

Usually for birdfeeders, the depth of field is fixed, which simplifies things.

Regarding 5mp lens, it’s true that in the highest resolution mode there will be some degree of softening vs a higher resolution lens. You’re fine for all HD video modes though. Unfortunately, 10mp lenses are difficult to find for M12 and C/CS mount.

Edward