<< return to Vizycam.com

High-resolution still capture?

I’d like to perform a 12 megapixel still image capture but I’m not sure if it’s possible with kcamera?

Here’s what I tried:

from kritter.kcamera import Camera;
cam = Camera()
cam.getmodes().keys()

yielding a number of modes, with highest resolution around 3 megapixels:

dict_keys(['320x240x10bpp (cropped)', '640x480x10bpp (cropped)', '768x432x10bpp', '1280x720x10bpp', '1280x960x10bpp (cropped)', '1920x1080x10bpp', '2016x1520x10bpp'])

If possible with kcamera, I’d love to learn how. If not, any recommendations for alternate approach?

Thanks!

Hello,
This is a good question, but the answer is unfortunately complicated :slight_smile: For the time being at least this is a limitation in kcamera and/or libcamera. That is, kcamera is built on top of libcamera (which is maintained by the Raspberry Pi Foundation) and it uses the “video” mode instead of “still” mode to acquire images. Video mode allows us to do a better job of acquiring frames quickly, but video mode doesn’t allow the allocation of full-resolution frames. Acquiring full-resolution frames is something we expect to have in the next version of kcamera (we’ll find a way).

In the meantime you can call libcamera-still, which is what the pictaker example does. It’s a bit of a hack though. (sorry)

Edward

Thanks. I’ll see if I can make use of the picamera2 library for now.

picamera2 is another idea :-- let us know how it works out :slight_smile:

Edward